Niantic Triathlon 2015

Monday, August 3, 2015

Why am I Tri-ing?

I am fairly new to the triathlon world with my first being the OCY Triathlon of September 2014 in Misquamicut.  The training was something I grew into last summer when I was swimming in the pool, biking in the spin room and running outdoors with friends.  They were preparing for triathlons and encouraged me to take the next step.  Triathlons? Seemed logical!   At least it did to David who saw this coming a long time ago and predicted a future of endless equipment and an MIE (Missing in Exercise) wife.

It became more complicated when it was time to start swimming in the open water.  Note that my kids can't get me to put a toe in the ocean unless it is above 90 degrees outside.  So I ordered the wet suit thinking it will be my shining, insulated armor and felt ready to go.  My first attempt at an open water swim was with Jen Massengale, the Mystic Y Tri Coach and a small group of triathletes and my son Ian who was preparing for his lifeguard open swim test.  It was a beautiful day with calm water.   I didn't get very far and not because I wasn't physically capable. 'Wasn't in the mood,' I think I told myself.

The next opportunity was an early Saturday morning and Jen was meeting a group of triathletes for a swim at Westerly Town Beach.  It was a much rougher ocean that morning and I was nervous.  I didn't know anyone in the group and spotted a familiar face from Spin class, Aimee.  So I latched onto and clung to her like a security blanket.  That day we discovered are similarly paced swimmers and were perfect swim buddies looking out for each other as we swam and completed the 1/2 mile swim in choppy water.  We had some help from two of the greatest - Steve Schonning and Jeff Duda who accompanied and coached us.   Aimee and I were awestruck and inspired because they coached us after swimming the 1/2 mile themselves as their workout, AGAINST the rough current.



I have since learned that it is a mental exercise to prepare and practice in the open water and there are psychological barriers to overcome.  There are sea walnuts which Ian has labelled and are small, hard jellies that are walnut size.  There can be jelly fish, fish and lots of seaweed.  Who knows what lurks in the seaweed!!  One of my favorite stories, which put me at ease and made me realize I am not the only lunatic, is a story of swimmer in the cove at the Mystic Y.  She kept seeing a shadow and was convinced it was a whale.  She noticed there was a pattern to the shadow's appearance and realized it was actually her arm coming overhead entering the water that was creating the shadow.  Those of us who've imagined the creatures and monsters in the sea can appreciate this story with a laugh knowing it is normal to have a vivid imagination and open water anxiety in the beginner's tri world.  And maybe that wasn't an eel I saw in yesterday's tri...

Since the day that Aimee and I conquered the ocean swim together, we have become good friends.  I have learned a lot from her about swim technique and have improved because of tips she has shared.  I have modeled after her so much that folks have commented that we look like synchronized swimmers because we match stroke for stroke.

Over the winter, Aimee enthusiastically scheduled herself for at least 5 triathlons in 2015.  She boldly added the Rhode Warrior 1/2 Iron Man Triathlon to her list!  1/2 Iron Man?!  A 1.2 mile swim (that's the easy part), 58 mile bike topped off with an 'easy' 13.2 mile run.  OK, Aimee, I said, if you can do it, I can do it too and I put it on my list of things to do, noting it sounds like a 50th birthday present to myself.

Just weeks before the 2015 tri season began, our tri group was shocked and devastated to learn Aimee was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer, an aggressive and unusual form of cancer.  Cripes, we thought, she is a mere 31 years old.  Aimee is funny, positive and kind with a soul as deep as the ocean.  It is hard for her to be the spectator and not the participant, yet she comes to the triathlons, cheers for us and celebrates our successes.  Aimee has a long road of treatment and surgeries ahead and we want to help her.  We have created a team, We Tri 4 Aimee, because she is the heart of the 2 large triathlon groups in Westerly and Mystic.

A fund has been set up for Aimee to help with medical costs and expenses.  Please consider donating to help Aimee during this difficult time.

http://www.gofundme.com/7fb3vvesg
  


Just this morning, I made my pledge official and registered for the Rhode Warrior 1/2 Marathon.  Every stroke, pedal and step will be tri-ing for Aimee. After all, this was her idea.  :)

2 comments:

  1. Terri, congrats on signing up for Rhode Warrior! Rode part of the course this morning; I'll look forward to seeing you out there in just 2 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Terri, just read your amazing blog with tears streaming down my face! You are an Earth Angel who touches everyone's heart and soul with your kindness, love for life, and selfless passions for others. We couldn't be more proud of you and will join David, David (your brother) cheering you on on August 23rd. Thank you for being you! Lots of love and congratulations! Toby and Bobby xxxooo

    ReplyDelete